Dear HIS community,
It is with great pleasure that I both welcome you to the Elementary school and take this opportunity to introduce myself.
My name is Angela Meikle and I am the new Head of Elementary at Hanoi International School. I originally come from California in the United States where I began my teaching career 18 years ago. I have worked internationally with the PYP and IB programmes for 13 years at the Western Academy of Beijing in China and United Nations International School of Hanoi and join HIS with seven years administrative experience.
I work for the International Baccalaureate in many roles such as a lead educator, consultant, visiting team leader, workshop leader, global webinar designer and field representative.
On a personal note I am mother to two children, Lucy and Maddison who share Australian-American nationalities as I am joined in Hanoi by my wonderful husband, Dylan.
We have an extraordinary staff in the elementary school who are passionate, skilled and dedicated practitioners. Your child’s teacher will be sending home a welcome letter as well as a class timetable and other important information this week. Please take the time to read the information carefully and know that your child’s teacher is always your first point of contact and is happy to answer any questions you may have.
Our Co-Curricular Program (CCP) will begin on Monday, September 11th and Mr. Joseph Grande is the coordinator of the program for this quarter. Very soon you will receive information about the programs being offered and will have an opportunity to register your child. Programs take place from 2:00-3:00 on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Please contact Mr. Grande (firstname.lastname@example.org) for any further information.
Finally, please take note of the following important upcoming dates:
- ES Open House and Meet the Teacher evening is Tuesday, August 21st from 5:30-7:00 pm. We look forward to seeing you!
- The first PTA meeting Thursday, August 30th
- No school Monday, September 3rd
- Late start Tuesday, September 4th at 10:30 a.m. for all students
- Parent-teacher conferences Monday & Tuesday, 10-11 September 2:00-5:00 p.m.
Finally, thank you very much for the warm welcome to HIS. I am thrilled to be in a position to working with you all to ensure that our elementary students are working to realize their full potential in a caring and positive learning environment.
Head of Elementary
As the end of the 2017-18 school year approaches I would like to please remind you of some important dates:
- The last day of school is Wednesday, 13th June. School will finish at 11:00am.
- Report cards will be sent home on Monday, 11th June
- The assembly to say goodbye to leaving students will be on Friday, 8th June at 8:00am
As well, please remember to:
- Return all books to the library
- Check the lost and found for any missing items
- Ensure your child’s Donkey Bakery balance has been paid
- Remove all items from student lockers/cubbies
On behalf of the elementary school staff and students thank you for your ongoing support.
Best wishes for a wonderful summer,
2017-2018학년도가 마무리되고 있습니다. 몇 가지 중요한 사안들을 전달해 드리고자 합니다.
- 종업식은 6월 13일 수요일이며, 오전 11시에 마치게 됩니다.
- 성적표는 6월 11일 월요일에 가정으로 전달됩니다.
- 떠나는 학생들을 위한 ‘goodbye’ 조회는 6월 8일 금요일 오전 8시에 진행됩니다.
또한 아래 사항들을 기억하고 실행해 주시기 바랍니다.
- 학교에서 대출한 도서들은 모두 도서관에 반납해 주십시오.
- 잃어버린 물건이 있다면 ‘ lost and found’ 상자를 확인해 주십시오.
- Donkey Bakery에 외상값이 있다면 갚아 주십시오.
- locker(개인 물품 보관함)를 깨끗이 비워 주십시오.
모든 교사와 학생들을 대신하여, 한 해 동안 여러분이 보여주신 지원에 감사드립니다.
즐거운 여름 방학 보내시길 바랍니다.
Kính gửi các quí vị phụ huynh,
Năm học 2017-2018 sắp kết thúc. Tôi xin nhắc các quí vị một số ngày quan trọng như sau:
- Ngày học cuối cùng là thứ Tư, 13 tháng Sáu. Học sinh tan học lúc 11 giờ.
- Nhận xét học bạ sẽ được gửi về nhà vào thứ Hai, 11 tháng Sáu.
- Buổi lễ tổng kết chia tay những học sinh năm sau không học ở trường sẽ diễn ra vào ngày thứ Sáu, mùng 8 tháng Sáu, lúc 8 giờ sáng.
Tôi cũng xin được nhắc các quí vị một số việc như sau:
- Trả sách cho thư viện
- Kiểm tra lại trong thùng Lost and Found để tìm những đồ con bị mất.
- Kiểm tra xem các con đã trả hết tiền cho Donkey Bakery chưa.
- Mang hết đồ trong tủ đồ của các con về.
Thay mặt cho toàn thể giáo viên, trợ giảng, học sinh khối tiểu học, tôi xin trân trọng cảm ơn sự hỗ trợ của các quí vị trong năm học vừa qua.
Xin chúc các quí vị và gia đình một kì nghỉ hè thật tuyệt vời,
- Donkey Bakeryカードの残高等の確認
PYP Exhibition coming soon!
Events in the Elementary School
Celebrating with our early learners
What has been happening in the elementary school lately?
Back to Learning
We started off after Tet with a visit from Explorer, Scientist and Marine Biologist, Henry Evans. He hosted an informative session with our elementary students and teachers sharing with us on the topic of climate change, its effect and our responsibilities. Some students even got the chance to put on some of the clothing he had to wear when exploring the South Pole.
Tet giving for Ms. Tuoi and Donkey Bakery Staff
The PYP in Action
One of the essential elements of the IB Primary Years Programme is student action and we are happy to share with you an authentic and wonderful example of how students in Grade 5P have taken action in our community to help others.
Grade 5P learned that one of the members of the Donkey Bakery staff, Ms Tuoi, had recently lost her husband in a motorcycle accident. Sadly, Tuoi is also a new mother to a baby boy.
The students decided they would like to help her as well as the other staff members of Donkey Bakery during this time of TET celebration.
They proposed a plan that encouraged students to make a donation by participating in the 'Kindness Wall'. When students observe someone who has done something good for others at school, they record the act of kindness, place it on the wall and make a donation.
Almost 10,000,000 VND has been raised for Tuoi and we are very proud of the care, concern and empathy shown by our students.
Photo citing https://www.flickr.com/photos/carbonnyc/31005127552