24th May 2019
It has been a book-ish week here at HIS! We have enjoyed celebrating reading and all things 'books' with door decorations, book character day, a book sale and more!
We are looking forward to seeing you on Monday evening for our Arts evening from 5:00-7:00 p.m.
Additionally, please save the date! We have many exciting events upcoming:
- Monday 27 May, Whole School Arts evening, 5:00-7:00 p.m., 1st & 2nd floor
- Wednesday 29 May, Late Start, 10:00 a.m.
- Friday 31 May, Elementary Leavers assembly, 8:00 a.m., Auditorium
- Friday 7 May, Grade 5 Graduation assembly, 8:00 a.m., Auditorium
- Monday, 10 June, semester 2 reports issued
- Tuesday, 11 June, Activity Day, homeroom teachers to determine the time
- Wednesday, 12 June, last day of school: 11 a.m. dismissal
Ms. Angela & Ms. Vani
19th April 2019
A friendly reminder there are no toys or personal objects of significant value brought to school. With the best of intentions, these items are easy misplaced, swapped or broken. Any toys brought to campus will be kept by teachers in class and returned at the end of the day to be safely sent home but not played with during snack or lunchtime. Thank you for your support of this elementary procedure.
This Friday, April 19, come celebrate outstanding talents in the Elementary and Secondary school beginning at 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. in the Auditorium with ‘HIS’ Got Talent!’ hosted by STUCO. Tickets are on sale in the main office for 20,000 VND.
Top performances will be selected to perform on Friday and a judging panel of STUCO members and teachers will select 3 top winners during the final show.
All Elementary students who would like to stay at the event on Friday must be accompanied by an adult or older sibling so that they can be escorted home safely. No child care will be provided.
Next Wednesday and Thursday, April 24-25 we will be hosting our annual PYP Exhibition. This is a very important event in the life of a PYP student and school as they work to take action in the issue of their choice.
Our evening celebration will be from 5:30-7:00 p.m. in the Auditorium on Thursday, April 25th.
We hope you join us for these events and to see you there!
Thank you to the many parents who joined us at our recent parent coffee morning to learn more about Donkey Bakery and our food service provider. It was both an informative and delicious meeting to attend!
A summary of our meeting:
- Ms. Michelle, the owner of Donkey Bakery joined us to share information.
- Food samples, fruit and freshly squeezed juice was provided for samples.
- Donkey Bakery has a main restaurant and shop located near Ciputra and services 5 schools locally.
- Ms. Michelle has developed and maintains an organic Donkey Bakery farm which produces the majority of fruits and vegetables for use in the canteen. It is significantly more expensive to sustain, however, they are committed to not using pesticides or chemicals. Additionally, many agricultural experts often visit the farm to inspect the quality of the produce. A range of food is produced, including but not limited to:
- Parents are invited to visit the farm if they would like a tour, it is approximately 90 km outside of the city center.
- Staff undergo frequent training programs including hygiene and sanitation, culinary and management skills.
- All plastic bottles have been removed as an option for purchase and now reusable glass bottles with freshly squeezed juice are available for sale at morning break and lunch.
- We do not serve pork meat, all recipes have been substituted with beef as a response to the potential of swine flu in Asia.
- Bacon and sausages are still used and purchased from certified reputable companies.
- The menu for Donkey Bakery can always be found updated regularly at: http://donkeybakery.com/school-canteen-services/hanoi-international-school/hanoi-international-school-canten-menu/
- Parents inquired into increasing Asian food offerings. Ms. Michelle invited any parents to come share recipes and teach the chef and kitchen staff popular dishes so that they could expand their selection.
- Balance updates are sent every two weeks. Donkey Bakery is working to improve this system so that it can be more responsive and timely. As more information is available regarding enhancements they will be shared.
- To contact the manager of Donkey Bakery at HIS, regarding your balance at any time, please email Mr. Ha at: firstname.lastname@example.org
14th March 2019
1 February 2019
Chuc mung nam moi!
Thank you to the Vietnamese department for their excellent local festival, activities, and assembly this week. We enjoyed many games, food, dancing while celebrating our local host country.
A few reminders for when we return:
- CCP session 3 will begin Monday, 11 February. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions about the schedule or classes
- Come join the HIS Elementary leadership team for a parent coffee morning! Monday, 11 February, 8:00 a.m. at JOMA cafe
- STUCO will be hosting a hot drink sale Wednesday, 13 February at breaktime. Students are invited to bring 10,000 VND if they would like to purchase hot chocolate and support our ES Student Council!
Wishing you a very happy year of the pig and wonderful Tet holiday!
Week of Jan 21-25, 2019
Dear Elementary families,
Come join us in our Elementary Tet assembly on Friday 1 February at 8:00 a.m. in the auditorium. All students are encouraged to wear an Ao Dai or other Vietnamese costumes. A reminder school has an early dismissal and closes at 11:00 a.m. on Friday 1, 2019.
Wednesday, January 30th students will participate in a variety of Tet activities from 8:00-10:00 a.m. with a market fair at the end. If your child would like to purchase food items, please send up to 50,000 VND.
CCP session 3 signups are here! Please use the googleform link (click here) to ensure your child’s selections for the next session of CCPs are included. They begin Monday, 11 February and conclude prior to spring break on Friday, March 29th.
Finally, join us at our first Elementary parent coffee morning of 2019 on 11 February, 8:00 a.m. at JOMA cafe. We hope to see you there!
ES Newsletter 11 January 2019
Dear Elementary families,
Happy New Year! I hope everyone enjoyed a restful and rejuvenating winter break. We are now looking forward to an excellent term 2 of learning and teaching. A warm welcome to all of our new students and families who joined us this week!
Coming soon are 3-way conferences on Wednesday, January 23rd and Thursday, January 24th, from 2:00pm-5:10 pm. A letter with a specific time for your family will be sent home next week. Sign up for specialist teachers will also be available.
This conference is essential for parents to attend and an opportunity for the student, teacher, and parent(s). We will review the December academic report use this to discuss student goals and to share strengths and areas for development.
CCP session 2 will conclude January 31 and signups for CCP session 3 will be sent home soon. Session 3 of CCPs will begin February 11th after the Tet holiday break.
Please join us at our monthly PTA meeting next week, Thursday 17 January from 3:00-4:00 p.m. in the library.
As a friendly reminder, don’t forget to subscribe and check your child’s Seesaw blog which has many important weekly updates from the homeroom.
Yours in learning,
International Day Timetable
HIS will celebrate International Day on Friday 23rd November. Please see the schedule below - we would love to see all members of the HIS community at this fabulous event:
Assembly at the field (everyone is encouraged to wear their national costume)
Parade of Nations
Grand Opening Number
09:30 - 10:00 AM
Settling-in and Snack Time; Grade 3 and 4 Stalls at the Ground Court
10:00 - 11:15 AM
Homeroom rotation activities on RELATIONSHIPS
Parents are invited to go to the library for coffee and snacks
11:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Shared lunch with PTA support (Canteen/Ground Floor for elementary students and Auditorium/Foyer for secondary students).
12:30 - 02:00 PM
Cultural Performance (Ground Court); Elementary dismissal @ 2pm.
02:00 - 02:30 PM
Games from around the world for Secondary students only (Outside Fields); Clean-Up
02:30 - 03:00 PM
Student VS. Teacher football match in support for the Rohingya Project
Dear Elementary families,
Happy Mid-Autumn Festival! The Mid-autumn Festival is a time to gather with family and friends, give thanks for the harvest and the year of successes and celebrate the full moon with lanterns and mooncakes. It’s also a chance to appreciate the many cultures and communities that make HIS the unique and special place that it is.
We have celebrated this week making mooncakes in Vietnamese class on Monday and finally Friday enjoying a dragon dance and assembly with special performances from all students for the holiday.
Last week we hosted a visiting professional consultant, Ms. Fiona Hamilton, who is an expert in word inquiry. She trained our elementary staff for two days of professional development and also spent two days on campus in classroom leading lessons with many grade levels. Regardless of our age, we are all inquirers! Visit your child’s Seesaw blog to find out more.
Finally, a huge congratulations to our delightful PKK class who performed in their first assembly of the year last week. They shared about all areas of learning including literacy, mathematics, unit of inquiry and music. All students were risk-takers and clear communicators sharing and speaking many times throughout the assembly. Well done, PKK!
On behalf of the entire Elementary staff, I would like to take this opportunity again to thank you for your ongoing support and wish everyone a very happy Mid-autumn festival.
Head of Elementary
We have much to celebrate now in our 4th week of school and in the month of September. It is a busy month ahead - we look forward to you joining us for many important events here at HIS.
Wow! Our Seesaw class and student blogs are in active use, with many thanks to your partnership. Students and teachers are excited seeing your ‘likes’ and comments about our learning - please keep visiting your child’s class and individual blog to learn more about our programme!
Parent Teacher conferences
Monday, September 17th and Tuesday, September 18th are our Elementary Parent Teacher conferences. The purpose of these conferences is to share information about your child’s progress across a range of areas such as academics, skills and social-emotional welfare. Your child’s homeroom teacher will be contacting you the week of 10 September with a specific time for your appointment. Single subject teachers will also be available for appointment.
International Schools Assessment
Students in Grades 3 and 5 at HIS participate in the International Schools’ Assessment (ISA) annually. This year, it will take place on Thursday, September 20th and Friday, September 21st.
This assessment tool has been developed in order to allow comparison of student achievement
in participating international schools against the performance of students in participating Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries. This is done by benchmarking student achievement against results in the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA).
The ISA provides standardized assessment in Mathematical Literacy, Reading, Narrative and Expository Writing at Grades 3, 5, 7 and 10 at HIS. The ISA provides HIS with useful data about student achievement in comparison to other comparable international schools and assists teachers in reviewing and developing the effectiveness of the HIS curriculum.
Elementary CCPs begin 10 September
Late start for students, 10:30 a.m., 11 September
Moon Festival assembly 21 September
Grade 5 camp 1-2 October
Yours in learning,
It was wonderful to see so many families at our Open House evening this week. Thank you for joining us to learn more about our Elementary programme. The school year has gotten off to a terrific start and we are beginning to settle into routines. We have many exciting events coming up which we would like to share more information about and hope you will join us for.
Please read through the following information carefully and, as always, please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments or thoughts you may have.
This year’s Winter Production will be hosted on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday December 5th-7th. All will take place in the auditorium.
5-6 December: 15:00
7 December: 17:30
Due to space constraints you are welcome to attend one performance. A survey will be sent out so that you can nominate a date closer to the performances. We look forward to seeing you there!
ID badges on campus
To support our campus being a safe and secure environment for all students, all adults who work or visit HIS are required to wear an ID badge which identifies them. As a parent, please send a digital photo (passport style) of yourself to the IT department for processing. Additionally, all house helpers (nanny, driver, guard, assistant, housekeeper) are required to have an additional ID badge which identifies them if they come on campus to assist your child. Please send in their photo also to firstname.lastname@example.org
Seesaw Class and Student Blogs
We are so excited to have Seesaw as our common blog platform in the Elementary this year! All homeroom classes will be using this and single subject teachers will be contributing through the common blog platform. Students will have a personal blog connected to the homeroom blog.
Please remember to sign up your child’s class blog to learn more about the wonderful learning and special events taking place in their classrooms. If you have not received a link from your homeroom teacher, please let them know so it can be resent.
Finally, don’t forget to comment! Did you know you can leave comments by voice recording?
Save the Date! Please note these important dates on your calendar:
30 August: First PTA meeting, 15:00 in the library
10 September: Co-Curricular Program starts
11 September: Late start for students, 10:30 a.m.
3 September: No school for students, Vietnam National Day
6-7 September: No school for students, Elementary Professional Development
17-18 September: Parent-Teacher conferences, 14:00-17:00 p.m.
20-21 September: ISA Testing
8-12 October: School closed, Autumn break
5 November: Sports Day
15 November: Late start for students, 10:30 a.m.
23 November: International Day
5-6 December: ES Winter Production at 15:00
7 December: ES Winter Production at 17:30
12 December: Last day of term (school day ends at 11:00 a.m.)
Dear HIS community,
It is with great pleasure that I both welcome you to the Elementary school and take this opportunity to introduce myself.
My name is Angela Meikle and I am the new Head of Elementary at Hanoi International School. I originally come from California in the United States where I began my teaching career 18 years ago. I have worked internationally with the PYP and IB programmes for 13 years at the Western Academy of Beijing in China and United Nations International School of Hanoi and join HIS with seven years administrative experience.
I work for the International Baccalaureate in many roles such as a lead educator, consultant, visiting team leader, workshop leader, global webinar designer and field representative.
On a personal note I am mother to two children, Lucy and Maddison who share Australian-American nationalities as I am joined in Hanoi by my wonderful husband, Dylan.
We have an extraordinary staff in the elementary school who are passionate, skilled and dedicated practitioners. Your child’s teacher will be sending home a welcome letter as well as a class timetable and other important information this week. Please take the time to read the information carefully and know that your child’s teacher is always your first point of contact and is happy to answer any questions you may have.
Our Co-Curricular Program (CCP) will begin on Monday, September 11th and Mr. Joseph Grande is the coordinator of the program for this quarter. Very soon you will receive information about the programs being offered and will have an opportunity to register your child. Programs take place from 2:00-3:00 on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Please contact Mr. Grande (email@example.com) for any further information.
Finally, please take note of the following important upcoming dates:
- ES Open House and Meet the Teacher evening is Tuesday, August 21st from 5:30-7:00 pm. We look forward to seeing you!
- The first PTA meeting Thursday, August 30th
- No school Monday, September 3rd
- Late start Tuesday, September 4th at 10:30 a.m. for all students
- Parent-teacher conferences Monday & Tuesday, 10-11 September 2:00-5:00 p.m.
Finally, thank you very much for the warm welcome to HIS. I am thrilled to be in a position to working with you all to ensure that our elementary students are working to realize their full potential in a caring and positive learning environment.
Head of Elementary
As the end of the 2017-18 school year approaches I would like to please remind you of some important dates:
- The last day of school is Wednesday, 13th June. School will finish at 11:00am.
- Report cards will be sent home on Monday, 11th June
- The assembly to say goodbye to leaving students will be on Friday, 8th June at 8:00am
As well, please remember to:
- Return all books to the library
- Check the lost and found for any missing items
- Ensure your child’s Donkey Bakery balance has been paid
- Remove all items from student lockers/cubbies
On behalf of the elementary school staff and students thank you for your ongoing support.
Best wishes for a wonderful summer,
2017-2018학년도가 마무리되고 있습니다. 몇 가지 중요한 사안들을 전달해 드리고자 합니다.
- 종업식은 6월 13일 수요일이며, 오전 11시에 마치게 됩니다.
- 성적표는 6월 11일 월요일에 가정으로 전달됩니다.
- 떠나는 학생들을 위한 ‘goodbye’ 조회는 6월 8일 금요일 오전 8시에 진행됩니다.
또한 아래 사항들을 기억하고 실행해 주시기 바랍니다.
- 학교에서 대출한 도서들은 모두 도서관에 반납해 주십시오.
- 잃어버린 물건이 있다면 ‘ lost and found’ 상자를 확인해 주십시오.
- Donkey Bakery에 외상값이 있다면 갚아 주십시오.
- locker(개인 물품 보관함)를 깨끗이 비워 주십시오.
모든 교사와 학생들을 대신하여, 한 해 동안 여러분이 보여주신 지원에 감사드립니다.
즐거운 여름 방학 보내시길 바랍니다.
Kính gửi các quí vị phụ huynh,
Năm học 2017-2018 sắp kết thúc. Tôi xin nhắc các quí vị một số ngày quan trọng như sau:
- Ngày học cuối cùng là thứ Tư, 13 tháng Sáu. Học sinh tan học lúc 11 giờ.
- Nhận xét học bạ sẽ được gửi về nhà vào thứ Hai, 11 tháng Sáu.
- Buổi lễ tổng kết chia tay những học sinh năm sau không học ở trường sẽ diễn ra vào ngày thứ Sáu, mùng 8 tháng Sáu, lúc 8 giờ sáng.
Tôi cũng xin được nhắc các quí vị một số việc như sau:
- Trả sách cho thư viện
- Kiểm tra lại trong thùng Lost and Found để tìm những đồ con bị mất.
- Kiểm tra xem các con đã trả hết tiền cho Donkey Bakery chưa.
- Mang hết đồ trong tủ đồ của các con về.
Thay mặt cho toàn thể giáo viên, trợ giảng, học sinh khối tiểu học, tôi xin trân trọng cảm ơn sự hỗ trợ của các quí vị trong năm học vừa qua.
Xin chúc các quí vị và gia đình một kì nghỉ hè thật tuyệt vời,
- Donkey Bakeryカードの残高等の確認
PYP Exhibition coming soon!
Events in the Elementary School
Celebrating with our early learners
What has been happening in the elementary school lately?
Back to Learning
We started off after Tet with a visit from Explorer, Scientist and Marine Biologist, Henry Evans. He hosted an informative session with our elementary students and teachers sharing with us on the topic of climate change, its effect and our responsibilities. Some students even got the chance to put on some of the clothing he had to wear when exploring the South Pole.
Tet giving for Ms. Tuoi and Donkey Bakery Staff
The PYP in Action
One of the essential elements of the IB Primary Years Programme is student action and we are happy to share with you an authentic and wonderful example of how students in Grade 5P have taken action in our community to help others.
Grade 5P learned that one of the members of the Donkey Bakery staff, Ms Tuoi, had recently lost her husband in a motorcycle accident. Sadly, Tuoi is also a new mother to a baby boy.
The students decided they would like to help her as well as the other staff members of Donkey Bakery during this time of TET celebration.
They proposed a plan that encouraged students to make a donation by participating in the 'Kindness Wall'. When students observe someone who has done something good for others at school, they record the act of kindness, place it on the wall and make a donation.
Almost 10,000,000 VND has been raised for Tuoi and we are very proud of the care, concern and empathy shown by our students.
Photo citing https://www.flickr.com/photos/carbonnyc/31005127552